Boredom Busting Dog Workouts
As you likely know, daily exercise for your pet is important no matter what time of year. Exercise keeps your dog in shape, expends energy, and offers them some important social time that contributes to confidence and good behavior.
But what if you and your pup are bored with the same old walk and game of fetch? ….Never fear! Here are some of our favorite ideas for dog workouts that are sure to jazz up the old routine.
The Ultimate List of Dog Workouts and Other Creative Canine Activities
- Dog days camping trips – Grab your friends with canine pals and head for the woods for hiking, trail running, and other outdoor recreation.
- Dog dancing classes – Yes, it’s true… ballroom dancing classes with your dog (who needs Fred Astaire?) have become more popular in cities across the States.
- Doga – How do you think ‘downward dog’ pose got its name? This yoga class is tailored for dogs and dog owners, and is often hosted in parks and other outdoor settings.
- Scavenger hunts – Get some friends or neighbors together and form a scavenger hunt in the community, keeping the destinations strictly dog friendly, of course.
- Dogs and kids play days – If you are a mom to both kids and fur kids, why not host a weekend play day for local moms with dogs.
- New tricks – Teaching your dog new tricks can provide wonderful mental and physical enrichment for him and can be rewarding for you, too.
- Therapy pet training – If you have always wanted to do something meaningful and think your dog has the natural gift of bringing smiles, you may want to consider signing him up for therapy pet training classes.
- Ready, set, go! – Some dogs live to race. Find an open field or track and let your sprinter race against his fleet-footed pals.
- Search and rescue – Another cool way to be of service while giving your adventure dog plenty of exercise is through search and rescue training. Who knows, your dog may help save a life!
- Doggie camps and daycare – If your pet is an only child, getting him out with other dogs is essential to his well being. Considering signing him up for some awesome time at a local doggie daycare for some fun and socialization.
- Flyball, Frisbee, and other sports – For herding and working breeds with more energy than you can manage, consider some demanding sports that can get those legs moving!
- Running buddy – Combine your usual morning or evening run with your dog’s walk and run together (if age, size, and health allows).
There are an unlimited number of ways you can shake up the usual doggie exercise routine. Rather than get into a slump, give your best pal some new activities that will have him jumping for more. You’ll feel great and so will your enthusiastic canine workout buddy.